Wednesday, March 22, 2017

FOMO

“The eyes of man never satisfied.” Proverbs 27:20

“He has FOMO,” my sister said. “What is that? I replied with a puzzled look on my face. “It is the fear of missing out,” she answered. “He doesn’t want to miss out on anything.”

I could relate, and I’m sure you have felt that way too. We see others having a good time doing something, and we want to follow suit. We are afraid we may miss out on all the fun. Who wants to be left out? What is going on in our heads that sometimes makes us desperate to have something others have, or experience something they are doing?



I know my underlying discontent within my heart creates a vulnerability to these feelings. My eyes are not satisfied with what I have, with who I am, or with my lot in life. This discontent causes me to look for the latest and greatest, the new and interesting - instead of enjoying God and who He has made me in Christ. When there is a deep seated discontentment in our lives, what happens when we get the new thing we desire?


The new thing or new experience that we saw making others happy eventually runs out and we must move on to the next object, gadget, or adventure. All the while the voice of God is calling us to satisfaction in Him, “Only in returning to Me and resting in Me will you be saved.” Isaiah 30:15. Will you resist the sugary sweet voices calling you to their false nourishment for your soul? Nourish your soul the truth of God goodness and His love for you and He will set you free from the constant fear of missing out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment