Wednesday, June 9, 2004

Missions Report - June 2004


Dear Friends,

We leave June 25th for Kiev Ukraine with 14 Americans who are eager to share Christ. Thank you for giving to make this possible. I have enclosed a prayer card for you to intercede on our behalf.

The expense for this trip has completely depleted my personal account. Living by faith is exciting and scary some times! If you can send a gift of any amount to support us in the ministry it would be appreciated, and it is tax deductible. Please make your gifts out to Woodstock Community Church and use the enclosed envelope.

Thank you all for praying for the students at the University of Georgia this past spring. Do you remember Matthew who wanted the Bible? I just received this letter from him. Please ask God to save him! “Hey, Steve. This is Matthew, the Buddhist guy who listened to you every Wednesday last semester. =) Sorry for waiting this long to send you an email, but I'm bad with keeping up with such things. I apologize. I have been reading the Holy Bible in little pieces since school got out. I think tonight I am going to finish Exodus. It's not the fastest reading of any text ever, but it's what I can manage. Thank you again for getting me that copy of the Bible, reading it has been a great experience thus far.”

Our mission team returned from LaCeiba, Honduras praising God for more than 50 professions of faith and 250 people who were treated in the clinic that week! They also worked hard painting and doing carpentry.

I have recently been overseeing our Singles Ministry, which is starting back up after a long period of inactivity. One of the girls wrote, “Thanks for your support and encouragement in this effort. I'm really glad you were able to be there on Saturday.” Please pray for these saints to become more committed and contagious.

I have also had the privilege of doing Jail Ministry each week with WCC Pastor Chuck Byrge. Every believer should go at least once to see the effects of sin. It will change your life. The inmates appreciate our coming!

On a personal note, out family is thankful that Julie and Matthew Newton graduated from college and Stephanie from high school. Congratulations guys! Matthew will be teaching in a local school and he and Julie are looking for a house. Julie is trusting God to provide a job for her. Stephanie will attend a local university. Danelle is continues to serve faithfully in the church with small groups and women’s ministry. I thank God for our 29 wonderful years! In April she went to the Boston Marathon to cheer for me, along with my mother and sister. She has been cheering for me my entire life in every “race” I have run. My next marathon is in New Hampshire on October 2nd. My friend, and UGA grad student, Eric Morris and I are going to run and visit a former UGA student Suzan Elliot who was in our house fellowship. Being a runner and avid supporter of our president I was inspired by the following e-mail from a soldier….

Attached is a picture of one of my best friends in the Army, Mike McNaughton. We were privates together in 1990-1994. He stepped on a landmine in Afghanistan Christmas 2002. President Bush came to visit the wounded in the hospital. He told Mike that when he could run a mile, that they would go on a run together.

True to his word, he called Mike every month or so to see how he was doing. Well, last week they went on the run, 1 mile with the president. Not something you'll see in the news, but seeing the president taking the time to say thank you to the wounded and to give hope to one of my best friends was one of the greatest/best things I have seen in my life.



Medical Corps, U..S. Army


Keep running for Christ,



Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment